< Back to previous page
- Research Expertise (University of Antwerp):- Vast scientific expertise across disciplines in a wide variety of local, national and international projects: o He is a Political Scientist (University of Amsterdam) with a PhD in Environmental Sciences (University of Antwerp). o Chair Care and the Natural Living Environment Faculty of medical and health science UoA o He works on critical complexity, inter- and transdisciplinarity, action research, expert elicitation, decision support methods and integrated approaches; environment & health, ecosystem services, biodiversity & health, One Health/EcoHealth o EU-projects: Trustnet-in-action concerning public participation in risk management HENVINET concerning a permanent inter-disciplinary network of professionals in the field of health and environment tasked to bridge the communication gap between science and society SPIRAL concerning biodiversity related science – policy interfaces OpenNESS concerning operationalization of ecosystem services CITI-SENSE on citizen involvement and empowerment in monitoring environmental health quality of life in cities GogreenRoutes which will implement nature-based solutions (e.g. improving urban green infrastructure, street trees), with a primary focus on creating green corridors to connect grey, built-environment public spaces with linear parks as a shared walkway/cycle way accompanied by four innovative components in six Cultivating Cities. - Vast experience in networking and science – policy – practice interfacing: o He has been member of Belgian IPBES delegations from the start of IPBES. Further, he has been member of the IPBES Expert Group on the ‘diverse conceptualizations of values of biodiversity and nature’s benefits to people including ecosystem services’ and Lead Author on the IPBES Regional Assessment Europe – Central Asia where he coordinated the work in relation to nature – health linkages. o He was member of the Belgian delegation to the Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice within the framework of the Convention on Biological Diversity (SBSTTA) as pilot for Biodiversity & Health in 2016 and 2021. o He is founding member and member of the steering committee of the Paris Risk Group which focuses on the role of social sciences in the field of risk governance e.g. in the field of environmental health. o At the Ecosystem Services Partnership he co-coordinates the working group on Ecosystem services and Public health. o He is member of the Belgian Superior Health Council of Belgium as member of the permanent expert working group in chemical agents. He was member of the 2014 – 2016 temporary expert committee on the ‘Assessment of the effects of neonicotinoids and fipronil on biodiversity and health’. He currently chairs the committee on urban nature – human health linkages. o He is member of the EKLIPSE Expert Working Group Urban nature – mental health. o He was member of EU COST Action Network for Evaluation of One Health (NEOH) which has now become the Network for Ecohealth and One Health as European chapter of Ecohealth International; in NEOH he is part of the core coordination group. o He is co-coordinator of the Belgian One Health Network (launched in November 2019) o He is co-lead of the Flemish Green Deal Sustainable Healthcare which is in preparation since end of 2020. o He is member of the emerging Rethinking Biodiversity Governance network.
- Keywords (University of Antwerp):EUROPEAN COOPERATION, VULNERABLE GROUPS, MENTAL CARE, POSTCOLONIALISM, FOCUS GROUP, SCIENTIFIC COMMUNICATION, Economics and applied economics
- Disciplines (University of Antwerp):Ecosystem services, Environmental impact and risk assessment, Environmental health and safety, Health promotion and policy, Preventive medicine, Primary health care, Quality assurance, Public health services not elsewhere classified, Social medical sciences not elsewhere classified, Sociological methodology and research methods, Local and urban politics, Multilevel governance not elsewhere classified, Democratic innovations, Institutional reforms
- Research techniques (University of Antwerp):mixed methods, qualitative/quantitative, critical complexity, inter- and transdisciplinarity, action research, expert elicitation, decision support methods, knowledge integration and integrated system approaches
- Users of research expertise (University of Antwerp):science, policy, practice
- See also: Hans Keune (Research Institute for Nature and Forest)