In this group physico-chemical and chemical thermodynamic principles, proces technology and methods of analytical chemistry are used in studies related to environmental problems. Research topics are: a. Physico-chemical treatment of process water, drinking water and wastewater and of solvent streams by the use of membrane processes. Currently mainly nanofiltration and pervaporation are studied (also in hybrid processes e.g. with ...
The Materials Technology Cluster groups the application driven research activities and services to society at the different campuses of KU Leuven in the field of materials technologies. The cluster plays a crucial role in bridging the gap between fundamental and conceptual research on the one hand and industrial valorisation and implementation on the other, in both research-driven and demand-driven innovation contexts.
Technology Cluster Sustainable Chemical Process focuses on the domain of resource recovery and the production of renewable chemicals and energy carriers from waste, side and biomass streams. Examples of studied processes include wastewater treatment processes, mixed-culture microbial processes and the production of renewable chemicals by thermal, chemical and biochemical conversion technologies.
Research topics are:
• Thermodynamics for material and process development
• Extraction and refining of metals
• Interaction of liquid slag and metals with refractory materials
• Thermodynamic and kinetic modeling of processes and interface reactions
• Material characterization
Molecular Design and Synthesis KU Leuven
Coordination chemistry aims to study the effect of ligand geometry and nature on the central metal ions. These are transition metals (3d, 4d or 5d), lanthanides (4f) and actinides (5f). The symmetry of coordination mainly determines the electronic structure of the metal ions and influences in this way the spectroscopic, electrochemical, thermodynamic and magnetic properties of the complexes. A lot of applications of coordination compounds are ...
Applied and Analytical Chemistry Hasselt University
1. Development and application of suitable analytical strategies for advanced material systems for studying their performance,structure, processing, environmental impact and specific applications with a focus on (bio)polymers.
2. Integrated use of complementary and hyphenated analytical techniques for problem solving
3. Valorization of waste streams using pyrolysis as a thermal conversion techniques for green energy and chemical ...
Nuclear Technology Centre Hasselt University
The research group NuTec (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org) has research domains 'environmental energy research' and 'development and application of nuclear equipment'. Multidisciplinary research in an applied context is paramount in both domains. There from that environment, energy, security (chemical, toxicological, radio chemical, nuclear,...), economic feasibility, legislation and regulation are closely involved in this applied ...
Research topics from this unit are :
Sustainable and Clean Chemistry
Renewable Raw Materials for the Production of Chemicals and Energy
Immobilization of homogeneous catalysis and biocatalysis
Synthesis of catalysts (Layered Double Hydroxides, Zeolites, Mixed Oxides, Carbon Nanotubes)
Surface Analayse: Spectroscopy and Microscopy
Real Time Characterization ...