- Users of research expertise:
Tom Decroo (°1973), Medical Doctor (RUG Belgium 2000), Master in Public Health, Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp, 2013, PhD Medical Sciences: “Community-based ART in sub-Saharan Africa: lessons learnt from Community ART Groups in Tete province, Mozambique” (University of Antwerp, 2017).
Between 2003 and 2012, he was based as clinician, researcher, and coordinator in Africa (Mozambique, Burkina Faso). Between 2014-2016 he worked as Operational Research Program Officer for MSF-OCB. In 2016, he joined ITM’s Unit of HIV & Tuberculosis (Clinical Sciences Department), since 2018 as FWO post-doctoral researcher.
His main interests include HIV community participation and drug-resistant TB. He is passionate about supporting operational research led by students.
He currently is the course coordinator of the short course “CLINICAL DECISION-MAKING FOR DRUG-RESISTANT TUBERCULOSIS” (https://edu.itg.be/courses/clinical-decision-making-for-drug-resistant-tuberculosis)
He has over 50 Pubmed-cited publications
Five key publications
1. Van Deun A, Aung KJM, Hossain MA, Salim MAH, Gumusboga M, de Jong BC, DECROO T. Twenty years of rifampicin resistance surveillance in Bangladesh: periodic vs. continuous monitoring. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2018;22(12):1450-1461.
2. Van Deun A, DECROO T, Piubello A, de Jong BC, Lynen L, Rieder HL. Principles for constructing a tuberculosis treatment regimen: the role and definition of core and companion drugs. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2018;22(3):239-2452018.
3. DECROO T, Henríquez-Trujillo AR, De Weggheleire A, Lynen L. Rational use of Xpert testing in patients with presumptive TB: clinicians should be encouraged to use the test-treat threshold. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2017;17(1):674.
4. DECROO T, Koole O, Remartinez D, dos Santos N, Dezembro S, Jofrisse M, Rasschaert F, Biot M, Laga M. Four-year retention and risk factors for attrition among members of community ART groups in Tete, Mozambique. Tropical Medicine & International Health 2014;19(5):514-21.
5. DECROO T, Telfer B, Biot M, Maikere J, Dezembro S, Cumba L, das Dores C, Chu K, Ford N. Distribution of antiretroviral treatment through self-forming groups of patients in Tete Province, Mozambique. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2011;56(2):e39-e44.