< Back to previous page
Maarten Van Acker
- Research Expertise:Maarten Van Acker is an expert in infrastructure and urban planning. He is Professor of Urban Design at the master programs of Architecture and Urbanism and Spatial Planning at the Faculty of Design Sciences at the University of Antwerp. Maarten is spokesperson of the Research Group for Urban Development, director at juxta architecture and vice-chairman of Europan Belgium. He coaches several urban development administrations, urban planning commissions and architectural firms in the realisation of urban development projects, the integration of infrastructure projects and the coordination of international design competitions. Maarten is a member the editorial board of RUIMTE, ONTO and ZuidZee. He received his PhD for his research on the impact of infrastructure design on the urbanization of Belgium since the 19th century. He is the author of several publications such as En de Rest is Parking, Stations as Nodes, From Flux to Frame, Highway x City, In Via Veritas, KempenAtlas, Spoorboek, Groene Singel, Zaaien op Beton, Turnhout 2012, ... In New York, Maarten did his postdoctoral research on urban (infra) structures at The New School for Design.
- Keywords:URBAN PLANNING, URBAN DEVELOPMENT, URBAN DEVELOPMENT AND SPATIAL STRUCTURE, URBAN RENEWAL, URBAN DESIGN, URBAN POLLUTION, URBAN ENVIRONMENT, URBAN INFRASTRUCTURE, URBAN METABOLIMS, Architecture, town and country planning
- Disciplines:Urban and regional design, development and planning
- Research techniques:Research by Design, Case study, Qualitative analysis, Systemic analysis (Metabolism) , International best-practice benchmarking
- Users of research expertise:Policy makers, governmental administrations, engineering companies, architecture and design offices, real estate developers,...