< Back to previous page
- Research interest (University of Antwerp):Koen Augustyns (°13/09/1965) obtained his Master and PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences at the KU Leuven, Belgium in 1988 and 1992 respectively. After postdoctoral stays at the University of Antwerp, Belgium and the University of Tübingen, Germany he was appointed as Professor of Medicinal Chemistry at the University of Antwerp, Belgium in 1997.His research expertise is in the fields of medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry and organic synthesis. His research in medicinal chemistry is mostly focused on the design and development of novel hit and lead compounds with potential therapeutic applications in the fields of cell death, inflammation and infectious diseases. Recently he became also active in the field of activity-based probes and bioorthogonal chemistry and their applications in bioimaging.He is an experienced teacher in medicinal chemistry and has guided numerous master and PhD students and postdoctoral researchers. He coordinated many national and international research collaborations and as Past President of the European Federation for Medicinal Chemistry he has access to a large international network. As Chair of the department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Dean of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences he is experienced in management of people, research and education.
- Keywords (University of Antwerp):MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY, DRUG DESIGN, DRUG DISCOVERY, Pharmacy and pharmacology
- Disciplines (University of Antwerp):Bio-organic chemistry, Organic chemical synthesis, Medicinal chemistry, Infectious diseases
- Research techniques (University of Antwerp):organic synthesis, compound isolation and purification, structure determination, chromatography, HPLC, NMR, mass spectrometry, medicinal chemistry, drug design
- Users of research expertise (University of Antwerp):researchers, research institutes, pharmaceutical companies, biotech companies