< Back to previous page
- Research interest:Johann Marquez-Barja is a Professor at University of Antwerpen, as well as a Professor in IMEC, Belgium. He is leading the Wireless Cluster at IDLab/imec Antwerp. He was and is involved in several European research projects such as CREW, FORGE, WiSHFUL, Fed4FIRE/FAVORITE, Fed4FIRE+, eWINE, CONCORDA, 5G-CARMEN, FLEXNET, FUTEBOL (Technical Coordinator), 5G-Mobix, PROTEGO, G-Blueprint (Technische Coördinator), and InterConnect projects. He is a member of ACM, and a Senior member of the IEEE Communications Society and IEEE Education Society where he participates in the board of the Standards Committee. His main research interests are: 5G advanced architectures including edge computing; flexible and programmable future end-to-end networks; IoT communications and applications. He is also interested in vehicular communications, mobility, and smart cities deployments. Prof. Marquez-Barja is co-leading the Citylab Smart City testbed, part of the City of Things programme, located in Antwerpen, Belgium. Furthermore, he is also interested and active on education development, being actively involved in different research actions to enhance engineering education. Prof. Marquez-Barja has given several keynotes and invited talks in different major events, as well as received 25 awards in his career so far, and co-authored more than 100 articles. He is also serving as Editor and Guest editor for different International Journals, as well as participating in several Technical Programme and Organizing Committees for several worldwide conferences/congresses.
- Keywords:INTERNET OF THINGS, WIRELESS TECHNOLOGIES, COMPUTER NETWORKS, NEXT GENERATION INTERNET, MOBILE NETWORKS, WIRELESS NETWORKS, WIRELESS COMMUNICATION, COMMUNICATION NETWORKS, Electronics and electrical engineering
- Disciplines:Communications, Communications technology, Control systems, robotics and automation, Electronics, Modelling, Multimedia processing, Nanotechnology, Power electronics, Sensors, biosensors and smart sensors, Other electrical and electronic engineering, Geomatic engineering, Product development, Safety engineering, Other engineering and technology
- Research techniques:- 5G technologies- 5G Core- 5G NR- Wireless networks- Mobile networks- Software Defined Radio (SDR)- Software Defined Networks (SDN)- Mobile Edge Computing (MEC)- Network Function Virtualisation (NFV)- Active and Programmable networks- Vehicular Communications (Drones, Vessels, Cars)- CV2X- ITS-G5- Network slicing- End-to-End network orchestration- Smart cities- Internet of Things communications- Testbed experimentation
- Users of research expertise:- Network Operators- Telecom Operators- Car Makers- Factories