< Back to previous page
Henk de Smaele
- Research interest:I am currently doing and/or supervising research on (1) the political history of masculinities and sexualities (from a broad, international perspective); (2) encounters between 'Europe' and 'the Middle East' (19-20th centuries); (3) international adoptions of children in Belgium; (4) the diplomatic role of the International Council of Women and transnational 'humanitarianism'; (5) contemporary history of universities.
- Keywords:CULTURAL ENCOUNTERS, OTTOMAN EMPIRE, GENDER STUDIES, LGBT, MASCULINITIES, SEXUALITY, History
- Disciplines:Cultural history, Modern and contemporary history , Political history
- Research techniques:Historical research methods, including archival research, analysis of discourses and ideas, historical-anthropological approaches, oral history.
- Users of research expertise:JournalistsSocial organisations like LGBTQ organisations, feminist groups etc.Artistic and cultural organisations