< Back to previous page
- Research interest:My expertise consists of the integrated environmental and economic analysis of new technologies. During my doctoral research, I integrated two methods, being the techno-economic analysis and the life cycle analysis into one new method. This method has been tested on multiple case studies of microalgal-based biorefineries. With this method, an accompanying framework was designed to enable the application during each stage of technology development, ranging from the first idea until final market commercialisation. This method has been further extended with a multi-objective optimalisation, in which the optimal value chains for both the economic and environmental potential have been identified.During my postdoctoral research, I will focus on technologies who have just entered the market. These new technologies are still expensive and have a high environmental impact compared to established technologies. This can be explained by the learning curve these technologies still need to experience, in which the efficiency of the production of the technology will still increase. In my research, I study these learning effects to investigate how these learning effects contribute to the economic and environmental potential of a new technology. Here, I focus in specific on circular technologies.
- Keywords:BIOBASED ECONOMY, INVESTMENT ANALYSIS, TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT, LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENT, MICRO ALGAE, Economics and applied economics
- Disciplines:Environmental impact and risk assessment, Life cycle engineering, Agricultural and natural resource economics, environmental and ecological economics
- Research techniques:Environmental techno-economic assessment, life cycle analysis, techno-economic analysis, multi-objective optimalisation, programming in Excel, programming in Matlab
- Users of research expertise:Technology developers, policy makers