< Back to previous page
Geert Van Eekert
- Research interest:Metaphysics: history of metaphysics (Aristotle, Thomas Aquinas, Descartes, Hegel), history of the critique of metaphysics, debates about the end of metaphysics (Habermas), history of post-metaphysical thought, contemporary concepts of metaphysics.Emmanuel Kant: Kant's place in the history of (the critique of) metaphysics, Kant's moral philosophy and Kantian ethics, Kant's moral anthropology and Kantian moral anthropology, Kant's philosophy of religion, Kant's theory of evil, Kant's political philosophy, Kant's philosophy of history, Kant's theory of aesthetic judgment.History of philosophy: philosophy of the Enlightenment, German Idealism, Neokantianism, hermeneutics, critical theory, Martin Heidegger, Hans-Georg Gadamer, the heritage of Kant in contemporary philosophy.Hannah Arendt: Arendt's theory of politics, Arendt's theory of labor, work and action, Arendt's theory of thinking, willing and judging, Arendt's theory individual and political liberty, Arendt's concept of evil, Arendt's theory of history, the influence of Kant on Arendt.Ernst Cassirer: neokantianism, critical philosophy of culture, the Davoser debate between Cassirer and Heidegger.Philosophy of Culture: the culture of Enlightenment and contemporary culture, the rhetoric of Enlightenment in contemporary public debate.Political philosophy: political myths, (history of the concept of) political liberty, free speech and freedom of self-expression, liberalism, republicanism, citizenship, John Stuart Mill, Isaiah Berlin, Quinten Skinner, Phillip Pettit, Onora O'Neill.
- Keywords:ETHICS, IMMANUEL KANT, LIBERTY, PHILOSOPHY OF CULTURE, PHILOSOPHY AND POLITICS, ENLIGHTENMENT, METAPHYSICS, CITIZENSHIP, Philosophy (incl. moral science)
- Disciplines:Citizenship, Public opinion, History of ideas, History of philosophy, Metaphysics, Philosophy of culture, Social and political philosophy, Metaethics
- Research techniques:- Public lectures, debates and courses- Chairing public and scientific debates- Lectures and courses in classrooms (secondary schools, university colleges)
- Users of research expertise:- Organizing and scientific committees of scientific conferences in philosophy- Organizing committees of public lectures, courses and debates - Public media- Teachers and lectures