< Back to previous page
- Research Expertise:My translational research focusses on the development of new combination strategies for the treatment of human malignant pleural mesothelioma. Both in vitro and in vivo research is used to unravel how our own immune system can be used to fight cancer. Cancer cells have several immune escape mechanism to hide and mislead out immune system in order that they can continue growing. I am interested in how tumor-induced immunosuppression can be tackled, manly by focusing on immune checkpoint inhibition, both in vitro and in vivo. Anti-angiogenic treatment and exercise will be investigated as attractive parenting strategies for an effective combination therapy. Anti-angiogenic treatment will be used to target the tumor vasculature in order to reduce angiogenesis and thereby reducing tumor growth. Exercise might be beneficial for tolerance and efficacy of combination strategies. All of this will be investigated in in vivo mouse models and in vitro cell cultures.
- Keywords:TUMOR ANGIOGENESIS, MESOTHELIOMA, IMMUNE CHECKPOINT INHIBITOR, CANCER IMMUNOTHERAPY, Medicine
- Disciplines:Anaesthesiology, Bioinformatics and computational biology, Biomechanics, Biophysics, Cardiac and vascular medicine, Dermatology, Diagnostics, Endocrinology and metabolic diseases, Gastro-enterology and hepatology, Gerontology and geriatrics, Gynaecology and obstetrics, Hematology, Immunology, Intensive care and emergency medicine, Laboratory medicine, Medical biochemistry and metabolism, Medical imaging and therapy, Medical systems biology, Microbiology, Molecular and cell biology, Morphological sciences, Neurosciences, Oncology, Ophthalmology and optometry, Orthopaedics, Otorhinolaryngology, Palliative care and end-of-life care, Pediatrics and neonatology, Physiology, Psychiatry and psychotherapy, Regenerative medicine, Respiratory medicine, Surgery, Tropical medicine, Urology and nephrology, Other clinical sciences, Forensic medicine, Nursing, Nutrition and dietetics , Speech, language and hearing sciences, Other paramedical sciences, Other medical and health sciences
- Research techniques:- in vivo research: subcutaneous injections, intraperitoneal injections, intravenous injections, cardial perfusion, monitoring tumor growth, follow up of survival - in vitro research: cell culture, co-culture tumorcells and immune cells, live cell imaging with Incucyte ZOOM software, multicoloured flow cytometry (FlowJo analysis), SRB assay to determine inhibitory concentrations of drugs, ELISA - immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence to look at the tumor microenvironment, tumor vasculature and perfusion
- Users of research expertise:- cancer researchers - immunologists - cell biologists