< Back to previous page
- Research interest:- Role of mucins (in particular transmembrane mucins) involved in mucosal barrier dysfunction upon inflammation in gastrointestinal diseases (i.e. inflammatory bowel diseases, the irritable bowel syndrome and gastric and colorectal cancer) and respiratory tract infections (i.e. RSV and COVID-19) with the aim to identify novel treat-to-target strategies and biomarkers for diagnosis and disease follow-up.- Unravelling the mechanisms by which aberrantly expressed mucins affect the function of the mucosal barrier and subsequently cause disease.- Investigating the interaction between mucins and the mucosa-associated microbiota in relation to gastrointestinal barrier dysfunction and how a disturbed gastrointestinal mucosal barrier further impacts on brain barrier integrity and homeostasis thereby affecting the gut-brain axis.
- Keywords:INFLAMMATION, CELL BIOLOGY, Veterinary medicine
- Disciplines:Gastro-enterology and hepatology, Gastro-enterology, Inflammation, Laboratory medicine, Bacteriology, Infectious diseases, Microbiome , Cell signalling, Membrane structure and transport, Cancer biology, Pathophysiology, Cancer diagnosis, Cancer therapy
- Research techniques:- in vitro cell models: * gastric and colorectal adenocarcinoma cell lines * primary cell cultures * organoid cultures- in vivo mice models to mimick gastrointestinal diseases: * Helicobacter pylori-related gastric cancer model (C57BL/6 strain) * Dextran sodium sulphate (DSS) colitis model (C57BL/6 strain) * T cell transfer colitis model (SCID strain) * Helicobacter hepaticus colitis model (C57BL/6 model) - transfection (siRNA) and transduction (shRNA) assays: gene silencing - permeability assays: transwell, FITC-dextran and Ussing chamber techniques- molecular biology: gene and protein expression assay (RT-qPCR, Western blotting, ELISA, immunohistochemistry)- microbiomics and transcriptomics : Illumina and PacBio sequencing platforms
- Users of research expertise:researchers performing basic and translational sciencepharmaceutical and biotech companies