< Back to previous page
Institute for Nuclear and Radiation Physics
Main organisation:Department of Physics and Astronomy
Lifecycle:1 Jul 1977 → Today
- Nuclear spectroscopy of short-lived isotopes using recoil separators at accelerators as GANIL and GSI.
- Nuclear spectroscopy at the ISOLDE isotope separators on-line at the PS-Booster accelerator in CERN.
- Nuclear structure and reaction studies using post-accelerated radioactive beams. * Nuclear astrophysics: radioactive ion beams accelerated to stellar energies are used to measure reactions of astrophysical interest.
- Weak interaction physics: fundamental properties of the weak interaction are tested in nuclear beta-decay at CERN (ISOLDE) and at GANIL, and with ultra-cold neutrons at PSI (Villigen, CH).
- Nuclear medicine: research into the production of radioisotopes for novel medical applications: hadron therapy and targeted internal radiation therapy.
Nuclear solid state physics:
- Investigation of low dimensional systems (thin films, 2D materials, nanowires, precipitates) – relation between structure and functional properties such as magnetism, ferroelectricity, superconductivity, phonons...
- Interaction of stable and radioactive ion beams with matter: ion implantation and ion beam analysis (RBS, PIXE, NRA and channeling).
- Use of the hyperfine interactions between the nuclear moments and the electronic environment of the nucleus – nuclear resonant scattering of synchrotron radiation and conventional Mössbauer spectroscopy.
- Advancing metrology at (sub)nm scale through fundamental studies of the physics of metrology.
Keywords:Nuclear astrophysics, Surface physics, Radioactive ion beams, Nuclear spectroscopy, Solid state physics, Ion implantation, Interface physics, Weak interactions, Nuclear medicine, Nuclear structure
Disciplines:Classical physics, Elementary particle and high energy physics, Other physical sciences, Applied mathematics in specific fields, Quantum physics, Nuclear physics, Condensed matter physics and nanophysics, Instructional sciences